Saturday, October 27, 2012

One Fly


Last week I participated in Grizzly Hackle's 12th annual One Fly.  It's a fun event that Dan Shepherd has been putting on for guides and shop employees near the end of each season.  You are drawn for a teammate and a river section and then you must pick only one fly for the day.  If the fish aren't eating it, too bad.  If you break it off then you're out.  You are allowed to measure 8 fish for the day and of those the biggest 6 will count toward your score.  The points are weighted heavily toward the top so an 18" fish is worth considerably more than a 16".  My day started out with a bang when I tagged this guy on my second cast.

 

A 22" brownie right off the bat definitely put me in the game.  Unfortunately I broke my fly off 10 minutes later and my day was over early.  Still it was a great day on the water.  My teammate, Matt had a solid day and finished second, and my trout won big fish for the day.  After sitting in the rowers seat all year it was nice to get up in the bow for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment